[fpc-pascal] Generics vs templates

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:00:41 CET 2018

fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> FPC essentially reparses a generic during specialization so I'd say that
they definitely affect compile times.

Does c++  not “specialize” in one location like FPC? looking at c++ code I
often see things like Vector<x> used in multiple locations instead of
declaring a single type (I have no idea why they would do that but it’s
very common). Maybe that’s why compile times are so slow?

C++ specializes once per compilation unit (and per unique type parameters).
FPC does this as well, but in addition it will try to reuse a compatible
specialization that's located in the interface section of a used unit.

Regards,
Sven