[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Ryan Joseph ryan at thealchemistguild.com
Thu May 18 15:32:57 CEST 2017

> This thread is getting a bit ridiculous - just like the Lazarus Forum thread did. Bottom line is, the exact same code (identical, just the language syntax that differed) produced acceptable results with GCC and Java. It didn't with FPC. We all now know FPC doesn't do such a great job at optimisation (I know the reasons why), and that the graphics API's is also not to blame. So lets leave it at that.

I’m making a game now with FPC and that example is pretty disturbing. I haven’t had any problems yet (it’s a 2D isometric engine on SDL/OpenGL) but that’s going to haunt my dreams anytime something comes up. :) Fortunately there’s no reason to write code like that so hopefully FPC is still a good choice for making games.

Has there been any good explanation by the compiler team as to why that code performed so terribly? I saw there were many optimizations that could be made (Floor() is stupid slow for some reason in FPC) but still that’s no excuse. The compiler must be doing something really stupid for it mess up like that but how can we know?

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph