[fpc-pascal] Re: Console Encoding in Windows (Local VS. UTF8)

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 13:23:44 CEST 2013

On 10/07/2013 13:38, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2013-07-10 11:19, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>>
>> Sure, but you can't select just any True Type fonts for console windows
>> (only Lucida is offered in WinXP;
>
> And is so since Win95. Just amazing that Windows Console is so far
> behind other platforms - it's rather ridiculous if you think about it.
>
> If I used Windows, I would install a different console application —
> there must be better after-market ones out there. But yes, this probably
> doesn't solve your or your clients problems.

I seriously doubt it...

I mean, in the olden days, the cmd program was actually a fully/partially [delete inappropriate]
DOS compatible virtual machine, starting with : being able to run real x86 mode programs...
It wasn't a shell as *nix has, never was meant to be...

You'd have more luck using DosBOX emulator these days...

> Anyway, here is some background information on Microsoft's terrible
> Console Window.
>

> Why are console windows limited to Lucida Console and raster fonts?
>
>  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/05/16/2659903.aspx
>
> Here is how you can add more fonts — but you are on your own (the words
> from Microsoft):
>
>   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247815
>

> Regards,
>   G.