[fpc-pascal] DOM, XMLRead, XMLWrite - cwstring requirement

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Sep 28 11:28:17 CEST 2012

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2012-09-28 10:01, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm also not sure how using cwstring unit would affect fpGUI apps that
>>> use UTF-8 inside AnsiString containers. (just like LCL does)
>>
>> It all depends on the XML.
>

> Sorry, I'm not very versed on WideString managers, so excuse if this is
> a dumb question. Would this (usage of cwstrings) be limited to the XML
> usage only (reading/writing from file), or to any place in fpGUI or my
> applications that use String as a data type?  TfpgString is defined
> explicitly as AnsiString so that should be ok, but there are still lots
> of places (and my own projects) that use String instead.
>
> I guess this would cause issues with API calls to external libraries too?

No, it is just for the XML reader, since it uses widestrings:
it needs to convert the XML to something sensible.
Hence it needs the widestring manager.

It can be that xmliconv  may be sufficient, Sergei Gorelkin needs to comment
on this.

>> I know. Some of us think that Embarcadero may be violating the copyright :)
>
> After following the posts in the Embarcadero newsgroup, I felt the same
> way. They are using the data from Unicode.org - repackaging it is
> irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the matter is not entirely clear.

That is why we decided to ask the unicode group what their opinion is on this matter.

Michael.