[fpc-pascal] DOM, XMLRead, XMLWrite - cwstring requirement

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 11:20:42 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-28 10:01, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

>> I'm also not sure how using cwstring unit would affect fpGUI apps that
>> use UTF-8 inside AnsiString containers. (just like LCL does)
>
> It all depends on the XML.

Sorry, I'm not very versed on WideString managers, so excuse if this is
a dumb question. Would this (usage of cwstrings) be limited to the XML
usage only (reading/writing from file), or to any place in fpGUI or my
applications that use String as a data type?  TfpgString is defined
explicitly as AnsiString so that should be ok, but there are still lots
of places (and my own projects) that use String instead.

I guess this would cause issues with API calls to external libraries too?

> I know. Some of us think that Embarcadero may be violating the copyright :)

After following the posts in the Embarcadero newsgroup, I felt the same
way. They are using the data from Unicode.org - repackaging it is
irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,
  - Graeme -