[fpc-pascal] installing FPC 2.6.0 on OS/2

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Jan 13 16:48:33 CET 2012

On 1/13/2012 05:40, Tomas Hajny wrote:
> On Fri, January 13, 2012 11:27, waldo kitty wrote:
>>
>> i've a problem with os2260full... i bit the bullet and wiped my old os2
>> 2.4.0(?? or 2.4.2???) install... now none of my projects compile... they
>> complain about "Error: Can't call the assembler, error -1 switching to
>> external assembling"...
>>
>> in downloaded os2260full.zip, transferred it to the os/2 box, unzipped it
>> into a /tmp directory and then ran the install tool... after an hour or
>> so, i came back and it was complete... then i tried to compile one of my
>> projects and ran into the above error...
>>
>> HELP!!
>
> This should be easy to fix (FAQ item, in fact ;-) ).

really? i haven't found a FAQ document that covered this... at least nothing
that was "in your face" with this specific problem... but maybe i don't know
where to look :/

> Nevertheless, in order to determine the reason, please do the following:
>
> 1) Compile with the -s parameter, run the created ppas.cmd and check the
> error message displayed when trying to run GNU AS from this command file.

compile what? my project? how is that done? i'm only running fp to load my
source code and then hitting F9 or ALT-F9 to compile... i don't know how to do
it any other way :/  [never mind, see below]

> 2) Check your PATH and LIBPATH (especially the latter) settings to contain
> a reference to the DLL directory in your FPC installation.

ahhh... now /THIS/ might be the ticket... when the install completed, there was
a box on the screen that said to make sure that the PATH and LIBPATH contained
the proper text and it specifically said what that text should be... so i
dutifully copy'n'pasted it into the editor i had config.sys opened in... saved
and closed everything and rebooted...

when i looked at it just now, the LIBPATH is set to h:\fp\2.6.0\bin\dll when it
should have been set to h:\fp\2.6.0\dll... i had noted this difference when i
made the edit because it should have been a simple modification of the existing
2.4.2 entries...

[time passes]

ok, have fixed the LIBPATH and rebooted... it takes a bit (~5 minutes) for the
thing to come back up with all of its services and such ready to go and be at
the point of ready for someone to interact with it... OK, so now it gets
further... the error now is "Error: Error while linking"...

[time passes]

ok, i figured out how to compile with -s and then i ran the ppas.cmd file... it
apparently has completed successfully... i do have a bright shiny new exe
file... now to figure out what's wrong with the normal way that fp does it as
compared to the way fpc is doing it...