[fpc-pascal] Re: What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?

Noa Shiruba shiruba at galapagossoftware.com
Mon Feb 27 16:33:43 CET 2012

Hi,

On 2012/02/27, at 23:14, Frank Church <vfclists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 February 2012 10:15, Frank Church <vfclists at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?
>
> Is it Free Pascal?
>
> --
> Frank Church
>

> What license are FPC and Lazarus, are they GPL?

The compilers themselves are gpl.  The libraries are modified lgpl so that they can be used for commercial projects.

> I think somehow a way must be found of getting Pascal identified with Free Pascal on the Linux platform if it is the most widely used.

I think that is probably already the case, though others may feel free to chime if they disagree.

> How about Lazarus Pascal. The problem with Free Pascal, actually most of the older languages is that there tend to be many variations and some what different dialects. There is more or less only one Ruby, one Python, one PHP, one Scala, you know whatever. There are a few variants of Ruby but so long as they can all run Ruby on Rails who cares?
>
> This how I see things.
>
> 1. Establish Free Pascal as THE Pascal, THE Object (based) Pascal on Linux

Again, I thing it is already the most realistic development option on Linux.

> 2. A way must be found of uncoupling the Free Pascal, the LCL, the FCL and the Lazarus IDE.

They are mostly separate projects, so far as I have seen.  LCL is part of Lazarus, FCL is part of FPC.  Some things that are in LCL should arguably be part of FCL, but certainly FCL is usable without Lazarus.

> 3. The Lazarus IDE (which should be the killer app) must be clearly distinguished. a) as Pascal IDE , ie dealing purely with Pascal Source code,

Which it pretty much is.

> b) an IDE that integrates well with the Non Visual aspects of the LCL e.g. fcl-web for instance

This part I don't know a lot about, however my impression is that it may be a bit weak here.

> c) a graphic based IDE akin to Delphi

This is already the case.  Lazarus is relatively mature for both widows and Linux.  Mac os also more or less works.

> 4. Both WIKIs are need a makeover. I am sure this has been discussed before :), but the image is really important. Far lesser projects somehow project a more 'professional' image just because of their websites. Lazarus wiki is like the Foyles bookshop of the past if not the present,or like some kind of army surplus store. You can find nearly everything you want, probably everything but it is not as organized and as slick as the competition. A lot of the websites of other projects hardly contain anything, but they all look modern and up to date.

I agree somewhat here, but I am sure this is a problem of volunteers.

> 5. This requires an increase in the uptake of Pascal. I mean if a language like D can get so much attention and have libraries being created for it why can't Pascal which has been longer established.

Perhaps people see D as a new thing?  Yet there are a lot of libraries around - its just that as you said, it takes a bit of searching.

> 6.  I guess one major shortcoming of Pascal is it is not immediately identified with objects, like C. Can Free Pascal simply change its name to Object Pascal

Object pascal is a language syntax, not a product.

> Honestly I think the name is probably the biggest problem if in an era of objects everything it is not associated with Pascal due to its age and past.
>
> In short how does Pascal get itself restablished?

This may be difficult in an era where all the rage is "managed" languages.

-- Noah silva