[fpc-pascal] Re: What is the most widely used Pascal on Linux and other Unix variants?

Rich Saunders saunders.richard.p at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:42:49 CET 2012

On 2/27/12 10:33 AM, Noa Shiruba wrote:
> On 2012/02/27, at 23:14, Frank Church <vfclists at gmail.com
> <mailto:vfclists at gmail.com>> wrote:I think somehow a way must be found
> of getting Pascal identified with Free Pascal on the Linux platform if
> it is the most widely used.
>
> I think that is probably already the case, though others may feel free
> to chime if they disagree.
Unfortunately, as soon as you mention "Pascal" many, many developers,
especially in the USA, turn up their noses and run for the hills, so
identifying FPC with "Pascal" would NOT help in growing the adoption of FPC.

Ages ago Pascal acquired the reputation of being a incomplete language
suitable only for teaching. Primarily that was due to the primitive I/O
and lack of practical runtime support of the earliest versions. Once
this happened that reputation has been almost impossible to overcome in
the wider arena of software development. Those of us who have stuck with
it have enjoyed the advantages it provides, but the idea of making it
cool again with the development gurus in most shops is a lost cause.
They have passed it over and simply will not look back.