[fpc-pascal] FPC with case insensitive file system under Linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:44:34 CET 2012

On 24 February 2012 15:57, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> The whole last week I cursed the opposite direction (first windows, then OS X).
> It seems it depends on the current task.

:-)

> Linux can handle both. But many Linux tools only support case sensitive
> files.

Well, in a case insensitive file system, there will only be one copy
of a specific file name in a directory. So the Linux tools should get
confused with which one to open or use. So I don't really think it is
going to be a problem.  I guess I'll find out in the coming week.  :-)

> My recommendation: If you have the choice, use the OS defaults.
> Many programs will fail otherwise.

In the case of Linux, there is no "default". Linux is just the kernel.
The Linux distro's on the other hand all make different choices. Some
distros choose ReiserFS, others Ext3, others Ext4, others JFS, some
are now experimenting with Btrfs etc.

Anyway, our company has done extensive testing (a couple years ago)
with performance and failure recovery of various file systems for
Linux, and JFS has come up tops. I personally have standardised on JFS
for many years. Only now am I deciding to switch to the case
insensitive option though. Luckily I have a choice under Linux.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anybody knew of any blatant issues
with FPC or Lazarus on a case insensitive file system, but I guess
with Windows and Mac OS X being around, it is safe to assume
everything will continue to work as normal.

  - Graeme -