[fpc-pascal] FPC with case insensitive file system under Linux

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:13:41 CET 2012

On 24/02/12 11:09, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [rant]
> I'm just sick of the idiocy of Linux/Unix with there case sensitive
> file systems! Google'ing a round for the reason for this, it seems
> that in the 60's, it was C programmers that decided that searching for
> case sensitive files was easier to implement (and marginally faster).
> Well, 40+ years later, that is totally irrelevant - yet we are still
> suck (by default) with case sensitive file systems. Mac OS X, Windows
> and OS/2 proves that there is no problems with case insensitive file
> systems, even for various locales. It also makes it MUCH easier for
> the end-user. I see no reason why Linux must still be stuck with this.
> Anyway, that is why I am busy reformatting all my JFS file systems (I
> have long ago standardised on JFS) with the -O option to make them
> case insensitive.
> [/rant]

Because case sensitive systems don't create as much confusion.
Converting something to upper case is a bit more tricky in some
languages.  Look at the git macosx (hfs+) screwup a couple of years ago,
because of how hfs+ normalizes unicode.  Also the Turkish I is a classic
stumbling block:

http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/turkish-i18n.html

You also seem to assume that file names will always be words.  Can they
not be codes or hashes?  Why will you then want to throw away 26
perfectly good characters?

Basically, it all depends what you are doing and what your experiences
are.  At the end of the day, a computer thinks that "a" is 97 and "A" is
65, but what humans perceive is more complicated.

Henry