[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-code versioned or unversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Aug 15 20:02:03 CEST 2012

> Hi,
>
> On 15 August 2012 15:32, Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And you can use the (Firebird/Interbase Services IIRC) API to get the
> > server version. I seem to remember Ludo's recent addition to FPC has
> > this functionality.
>
> Yes, but you are jumping the gun here! My problem is that I can't even
> start my app, because the libfbclient.so is missing in every distro I
> tried. Linux distros (on client PC's at least), do not include the
> -devel packages by default, so they only have the versioned shared
> libraries setup.

Did you try ibase60dyn.initializeibase60('whatever.so'); in your dpr ? I
noticed you didn't react to that suggestion (and a similar suggestion from Jonas)

Since 2.4.2 afaik most db routines have such routines, though I haven't seen
them tested much.

The main reason is exactly discussions like this popping up every half year
about library naming purposes, adding embedded or odd ball versions and so on.