[fpc-pascal] Linux - ExecuteProcess versus fpSystem

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Sep 8 09:04:26 CEST 2011

> > The inner plumbing of executeprocess and tprocess should be the same.
> > TProcess just has several options (shell and piping)
>
> I thought of that, right after I sent my message. But maybe there is a
> slim chance that he is simply not using ExecuteProcess() correctly
> when he uses it directly. Maybe TProcess hides some of the complexity
> and setup code, which will make things work. Like I said, maybe.... or
> maybe not. :)

I think the smartest avenue would be to executeprocess with shell, to test
if it is shell or not.

executeprocess is the bare plumbing of tprocess and is quite stable (e.g. it
has been safe for the commandline parsing problems that have haunted
TProcess since it emerged in 1.9.6)

Using executeprocess to diagnose TProcess problems makes sense. (to see if
it is in the core features or the "fluff"), the other way around not really,
unless you really need piping.