[fpc-pascal] Powtils Apache and Windows Seven 64bits

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue May 25 10:12:27 CEST 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010, Bee Jay wrote:

> On 25 Mei 2010, at 14:43, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> My major concern is vendor lock-in. Something we want to avoid at all costs
>> - we have been burnt too many times. So I'll stay away from ExtPascal
>> because that requires ExtJS which is a commercial product you have to
>> purchase (starting at $729 and going up to $39,129), and what if ExtJS goes
>> out of business tomorrow.
>
> Because the exact same reason, ExtPascal got some code refactoring lately.
> The refactoring purpose is to separate FCGI code from ExtJS wrapper code
> (decouple).  By using the latest SVN of ExtPascal, you should be able to
> use the FCGI part only without need to bother with the ExtJS part.
> However, the refactoring result isn't yet fully tested and it might leave
> some coupled code behind.

Seems like Graeme is not the only one who is not always listening:

I said several times before, FastCGI exists since a long time in Free Pascal;
why would you need ExtPascal code for it ?

What is more, the FastCGI implementation of Free Pascal is fully
compatible with all the rest of fcl-web, making it much more easy
to develop for than using ExtPascal (especially in Lazarus).

Also, the FastCGI module of ExtPascal is limited to using the ExternalFastCGI
directive in Apache. It does not support IIS and does not support regular
FastCgi.

By contrast, the implementation in Free Pascal does support the standards
and also supports the ExternalFastCGI directive.

All in all, I see very little reason for using ExtPascal - if you are
interested only in the FastCGI code. If you want ExtJS, it's a different
story.

Michael.