[fpc-pascal] Progress indication while linking

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Dec 28 12:29:18 CET 2010

Vincent Snijders wrote:
> 2010/12/28 Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk>:
>> Jonas Maebe wrote:

> I did some experimenting. During linking I saw the lazarus executable
> growing, so you could do a ls -l on it.
> What also give some indication of progress is using OPT="-k-t" which
> outputs all input files.
>
> On my computer, linking of lazarus is well under 1 min, so not
> comparable. Between the last output of -k-t and the creation of new
> lazarus executable is some time too, maybe that is a days for you,
> without any output.

Output file is sitting here with zero length, so either the linker is
sitting in a dark corner giggling to itself or it's slowly writing
output but hasn't committed it. I'll try  OPT="-k-t"  on the next run, I
was wondering about that one earlier.

FPC works well enough to compile itself on Solaris (as discussed
elsewhere) so I've got no reason to think that things are totally
broken. However I've not got a number of tools that I rely heavily on
when running Linux- in particular since I've not got GNU Screen if the
SSH session goes down I'll have to start over, and I've got neither free
nor top so don't have an easy way of looking at what memory allocation
is doing.

There are obviously a lot of facets of Solaris that I haven't explored
yet, but the CPU and memory it requires for even basic operation appear
to have increased exponentially between v8 and v11.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk