[fpc-pascal] Progress indication while linking

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 11:53:17 CET 2010

2010/12/28 Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk>:
> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>
>> On 28 Dec 2010, at 11:04, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to get any sort of activity indication that confirms that
>>> the linker is actually doing something useful, rather than just sitting
>>> there locked up?
>>
>> No, there isn't. FPC currently does not show any output from the linker,
>> but even if it did I don't think there's any parameter you can give to the
>> linker to make it print a progress report.
>
> Thanks Jonas- it's taking about a week to compile/link in the extreme case
> and something predictable- even if it was just a temporary file with a
> timestamp that changed predictably- would be really useful.
>
> Fortunately I've got a somewhat more powerful system that I can put Solaris
> on, but compared with Linux it really is a resource hog.

I did some experimenting. During linking I saw the lazarus executable
growing, so you could do a ls -l on it.
What also give some indication of progress is using OPT="-k-t" which
outputs all input files.

On my computer, linking of lazarus is well under 1 min, so not
comparable. Between the last output of -k-t and the creation of new
lazarus executable is some time too, maybe that is a days for you,
without any output.

Vincent