[fpc-pascal] Who said Pascal isn't popular

Jeff Wormsley daworm10 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 19 16:30:12 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Any programmer worth hiring should find it relatively easy to switch
> to another language. Or and least become proficient in it in a
> relative short period of time.  The basic principles apply to all
> languages, it's just the tool-chain and syntax that differs.

I certainly agree, but that is a very hard thing to prove to those who
hold the purse strings, who tend not to be the technical types.
Unfortunately, the term "buzzword compliant" is all too real. They know
the terms used in the industry, and Pascal doesn't tend to come up that
often, unlike C or Java or any of the numerous scripting/interpreted
languages (Ruby, Perl, Python, etc.).

I don't claim to be a "good" programmer in any particular language, but
having used several over my lifetime, I'm familiar with where the
similarities and differences lie.  Some programmers can't seem to grasp
multiple languages effectively, similar to how some people have trouble
learning a second (or more) speaking language, but like you say, the
better ones have no trouble with it.

Jeff.
--
I haven't smoked for 3 years, 2 months and 2 days, saving $5,217.57 and
not smoking 34,783.85 cigarettes.