[fpc-pascal] Who said Pascal isn't popular

Ingemar Ragnemalm ingemar at ragnemalm.se
Sun Oct 18 12:37:12 CEST 2009

"Vinzent H?fler" <JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net> wrote:

> Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:
>

>> Any programmer worth hiring should find it relatively easy to switch
>> to another language. Or and least become proficient in it in a
>> relative short period of time.  The basic principles apply to all
>> languages, it's just the tool-chain and syntax that differs.
>>

> Yes and no. The mindsets of the languages may differ. Try talking about typing with a C-programmer and with an Ada-programmer and you'll see what I mean.
>
> That's why the question should not be: "Which language do you know?", but rather "What other languages do you know?" It tells me more about the mindset of the programmer than any "previous 10-years experience with $LANGUAGE".

Good point there. Anyone who only knows one language is likely to be
unable to adapt even to the changes in that particular language. For us
who have moved between languages, it is more natural to adapt.

Don't learn a language; learn to program. Big difference. I think C and
Java are particularly bad choices to teach programming, and learning
just the one that "they use in the industry" only makes you
narrow-minded and limited.

/Ingemar