[fpc-pascal] Why can't 64bit FPC cross-compile 32bit

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Nov 9 15:06:23 CET 2009

On 09 Nov 2009, at 15:01, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Rainer Stratmann wrote:
>> Is it possible to create an .exe file at linux os when choosing
>> target 'windows'?
>
> Yes - when you compile your applications using the cross compiler. The
> crosscompiler wiki page explains it all. I have successfully created
> Windows 32bit .exe files from my Linux system.

You don't need a cross compiler for that. An FPC binary can only
generate code for a single target processor, but it always supports
all operating systems supported by FPC on that target processor.

What you do need, are
a) possibly helper utilities for that target system (assembler,
linker, resource compiler, ... -- for win32 that's not necessary, as
everything is built into the compiler already)
b) a compiled version of all rtl and packages units for that target

Jonas