[fpc-pascal] Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Jan 20 10:18:48 CET 2009

On 19 Jan 2009, at 18:05, Ingemar Ragnemalm wrote:

> One of the users reporting problems did search for as, and found it
> in /developer/usr/bin/as! So Xcode
> was installed, and "as" was installed, but not in /usr/bin/as!
>
> Maybe Apple has changed the paths in some Xcode version? I have no
> problems on my MBP/10.5 though.
>
> Perhaps an alias from /usr/bin/as would help? Or is there anything
> else that FPC needs?

As of Xcode 3.x, you can install multiple versions of Xcode at the
same time on a system. To allow for this, Xcode can install everything
it needs into a a subdirectory, without installing anything globally
on the system (i.e., nothing under /usr, /var, ..., only things under
whatever directory you decide to install Xcode in).

However, for compatibility with standard unix development environments
and configure/makefile-based source distributions, you still have the
option to also install the command line utilities (such as automake,
autoconf, as, ld, gcc, cpp, ...) globally under /usr.

Now, I am pretty certain that this is done by default and that this is
only not done if you choose a custom install and deselect that option.
I don't have an Xcode installer lying around to verify that though.

If it is not the default anymore, I'm not sure how FPC itself could
solve it, because as mentioned earlier, you can install Xcode
anywhere. I could add a default configuration option so that FPC also
searches under /Developer/usr/bin for the assembler/linker, but that
would not necessarily be enough. On the other hand, the whole reason
of existence of that Xcode installation option is exactly for programs
such as FPC.

Jonas

PS: the option to tell FPC where to search for as and ld is -FD