[fpc-pascal] Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external assembling

Ingemar Ragnemalm ingemar at ragnemalm.se
Mon Jan 19 18:05:07 CET 2009

Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2008, at 17:04, Giulio Bernardi wrote:
>

>> Joost van der Sluis ha scritto:
>>
>>> Op woensdag 31-12-2008 om 09:11 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef César
>>> Espinoza:

>>> I could be wrong but check if you have installed the binutils on your
>>> machine. (ld, as)
>>>
>> On Mac OS X, you have to install the Developer Tools (they are on
>> the Mac OS X DVD IIRC).
>>

> Correct, but the FPC installer package normally checks whether they
> are installed, by checking for the existence of /usr/bin/gcc. It's
> pretty odd that /usr/bin/gcc would exist, but /usr/bin/as not. Maybe
> the path is wrong in the terminal session for some reason?
>
> To César: what does
>
> echo $PATH
>
> show? And
>
> ls -l /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/as

It should be stressed that this problem is not isolated to one user; I
have got questions from at least two
users of Lightweight IDE. The IDE has nothing to do with it, of course,
it relies on FPC finding the
assembler. I suppose the IDE could call as itself when need arise, but
that seems like an unnecessary
workaround.

One of the users reporting problems did search for as, and found it in
/developer/usr/bin/as! So Xcode
was installed, and "as" was installed, but not in /usr/bin/as!

Maybe Apple has changed the paths in some Xcode version? I have no
problems on my MBP/10.5 though.

Perhaps an alias from /usr/bin/as would help? Or is there anything else
that FPC needs?

/Ingemar