[fpc-pascal] Re: Embarcadero/CodeGear officialy interested in Firebird and on native versions of Delphi for other operating systems ...

Bee bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Tue Dec 9 18:57:45 CET 2008

> I think they had to make a descision: Either against Microsoft or with
> them. They chose to go with Microsoft so they now have to do everything
> that supports M$ OSes and avoid everything that could drive users to
> open source. In both ways there is no guaranty for success: If they try
> to compete with Microsoft they have a strong enemy and if they
> collaborate with them they can go down with them if open source becomes
> stronger and stronger.

IMO, they had made a very wrong decision. Supporting open source doesn't
always mean to open source everything. Besides, by supporting open
source, they could also support M$ as well. Supporting open source
doesn't mean against M$. Most of open source projects come with
cross-platform support in mind, including M$. Even Apple indirectly
supports M$ (Safari, iTunes, etc). Nobody denies that M$ still dominates
the market. So, supporting open source should be the safest choice for
them. If M$ grows bigger, they can grow bigger with M$. If M$ goes down,
they can still grow bigger with other platforms (linux, mac, etc).

IMO, RemObjects realize this. That's why their Oxygene/Prism could work
on .Net (M$) and Mono (non M$). Also that's why their other OP-based
products starting to support FPC and Lazarus (to target non M$
platforms). RO is smarter than CodeGear/Embarcadero, obviously. ;)

-Bee-