[fpc-pascal] "Building-Block" Design - or putting it all together ; -)

Paul Nicholls paulfnicholls at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 01:16:10 CEST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "MPDJ" <mpdj at btinternet.com>
To: "FPC-Pascal users discussions" <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:56 PM
Subject: [fpc-pascal] "Building-Block" Design - or putting it all together
;-)

> I've been following this list for sometime, but I'm not a professional
> coder like most of you guys here so forgive me if this is obvious or
> long-winded......
>
> I've been writing small apps for many years, but am now working on by
> far my largest yet and I'm having trouble working out the best way to
> piece everything together as I've not had this number of parts in a
> program before. All the pieces are currently working as small
> test-components in their own right, but now need to go together.
>
> For example, on the output-device side I'm not sure which modules
> should communicate with which to make the neatest solution eg.
>
> [Input modules] -> [Individual Drawing Blocks] -> [Main Output]
>
> or
>
> [Input modules] -> [Main Output] -> [Individual Drawing Blocks]
>
> Should I have direct data access to each drawing module (they draw
> menus, clocks etc.) which in turn have a link to the main output
> control unit, or should everything go through one main output
> control unit which passes the data on and has the control over each
> module or is that bad coding / a bottle neck etc.?
>

> Is there a tutorial or place that could help with the whole,
> 'knitting-together' aspect of Pascal (though I guess it would equally
> apply to other languages)? All the tutorials I've used over the years
> teach the language / classes / objects but don't tackle the issue of
> piecing a much larger project together in a sensible, maintainable
> manner.
>
> Cheers.

I can't help you with your problem directly, but perhaps this newsgroup for
object orient programming could help:

News server:    newsgroups.borland.com
news group:    borland.public.delphi.oodesign

It is for Delphi, but it would be equally valid for freepascal as both use
object pascal...

cheers,
Paul