[fpc-pascal] "Building-Block" Design - or putting it all together ; -)

MPDJ mpdj at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 9 14:56:37 CEST 2008

I've been following this list for sometime, but I'm not a professional
coder like most of you guys here so forgive me if this is obvious or
long-winded......

I've been writing small apps for many years, but am now working on by
far my largest yet and I'm having trouble working out the best way to
piece everything together as I've not had this number of parts in a
program before. All the pieces are currently working as small
test-components in their own right, but now need to go together.

For example, on the output-device side I'm not sure which modules
should communicate with which to make the neatest solution eg.

[Input modules] -> [Individual Drawing Blocks] -> [Main Output]

or

[Input modules] -> [Main Output] -> [Individual Drawing Blocks]

Should I have direct data access to each drawing module (they draw
menus, clocks etc.) which in turn have a link to the main output
control unit, or should everything go through one main output
control unit which passes the data on and has the control over each
module or is that bad coding / a bottle neck etc.?

Is there a tutorial or place that could help with the whole,
'knitting-together' aspect of Pascal (though I guess it would equally
apply to other languages)? All the tutorials I've used over the years
teach the language / classes / objects but don't tackle the issue of
piecing a much larger project together in a sensible, maintainable
manner.

Cheers.