[fpc-pascal] another fpc RAD: MSEide

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 19 21:43:55 CEST 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, L505 wrote:

> > > Very nice compact stringlist in there to use...
> > > Standard Classes stringlist adds about 60K-70K to your exe/elf while CompactUtils
> > > PStrList only adds maybe 1-5KB.
> >
> > Please compare what is comparable:
> >
> > The Classes unit contains more than just the TStringlist and TList.
> >
> > It contains a whole lot of other classes as well: streams, collections,
> > components, threads, and the whole streaming system. All things which
> > are commonly used in Object Pascal programs.
>
> KOL contains Streams, Threads, Stringlists,  TLists (actually PList) and almost every
> single function implmented in the Classes unit. They are pretty comparable. (CompactUtils
> doesn't contain threads yet because I didn't work on that area - just not enought time.).

This is certainly true, but your statement is that:

"Standard Classes stringlist adds about 60K-70K to your exe/elf while CompactUtils
 PStrList only adds maybe 1-5KB."

This 1-5k of CompactUtils does not have a quarter of the functionality included
in the 60k you compare it with. That's intellectually not correct. You should
compare the size of the classes unit with the total size of all KOL (or whatever)
units that implement the same functionality as classes.

Comparing the size of a PC with the size of a wristwatch can be done, but does
not say anything useful, except that you might not attract a lot of women
with a PC wrapped around your wrist when going to a party ;-)

Michael.