[fpc-pascal] another fpc RAD: MSEide

Peter Vreman peter at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 19 19:28:11 CEST 2006

At 17:22 19-4-2006, you wrote:

>Just
> IDE to
>Pretty
> > >
> > > And the exe's/elf's it generates are reasonable in size.  Going to
> check it
>out
> > > today, again.
> >
> > Smaller than FPC ? That shouldn't differ too much, I think.
>
>I mean smaller than lazarus generated ones.
>
>BTW How does borland put the debug info into the exe without increasing
>the exe
>size? Not to mention, there is no such thing as a smartlinking option in my
>delphi compiler. They just assume you always need smartlinking - why would you
>not need it. As for how their compiler/linker is so fast with smartlinking on
>and debugging on... mystery.

Linking stabs debugging is slow. Every .stab section must be merged and
updated. Compare the linking time differences with linking lazarus.exe
(50Mb of stabs) with -Xi and with -Xis.

In the future fpc will use dwarf and the size will me much lower and
linking will be faster. But we are partly dependent on the debugger (gdb)
to support it. At least the standard is enough to implement all pascal
features. But for example gdb only implements what is needed for C/C++.

Peter