[fpc-pascal] Learning new things in an imperfect world

David Chandler david at davidchandler.com
Tue Nov 1 06:29:35 CET 2005

I am having trouble getting a standard top-of-the-page menu system to
work properly in Lazarus (Version 0.9.10 beta downloaded a few weeks ago).

--I am able to construct the menu, put in events, etc. using the tools
in Lazarus, however at run time it locks up.  I click on the menu item
(such as File or Edit, etc.) and instead of dropping down the sub menus,
the program locks up.
--I tried a simple test program with no frills: just a menu, a single
menu item, and a sub menu.  I double clicked the submenu item to create
stub code for a handler.  Same result.  If there are several menu items
with no sub-menus, there is no problem, however.
--I also tried one of the example programs that comes with Lazarus.
Same result.  The error message I get when I stop the program is
"Project raised external exception class 'Externals: SIGSEGV'".  I tried
stepping through the program with the debugger.  What I got were various
messages saying Lazarus couldn't find different inc files.  It gave me
an opportunity to supply my own path, so after searching around I
provided a path (C:\lazarus\fpcsrc\rtl\inc\...), after which it kept
working until it came to another missing inc file.
--The strange thing is that when I exit the Lazarus development
environment and run the exe file, they all (the example program and my
test programs) work flawlessly.  The problem seems to be in Lazarus
being able to run its own code.

My frustration in trying to learn Delphi-like programming in an
imperfect environment is I can never tell whether it is my own ignorance
or a flaw in the system that is creating the problems.  I am using
Mastering Delphi 6 as one guide and any online docs and tutorials I can
find.  Beyond that I have to ask stupid questions and hope for your
patience.  It seems that if anyone has created anything of value with
Lazarus they must surely have been able to create menus, so I assume I
am doing something stupid, but all the recent discussion of the
immaturity of the Lazarus IDE makes me wonder.

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully navigated these
waters.  I will probably have a few more problems like this in getting
up and running.  (I am a successful self-taught DOS Borland Pascal
programmer from the 1980's but never used Delphi.)  If anyone who knows
FPC/Lazarus well would be willing to correspond with me directly to help
me get over these initial hurdles I would be able to spare the rest of
you from hearing my newbie woes.  My direct email is david at
davidchandler dot com.

--David Chandler