[fpc-pascal] Benchmarks for Free Pascal

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 12:03:51 CET 2005

Hello,

I've recently come across some good websites about benchmarks and Free
Pascal is definitevely one of the best compilers in CPU time and
Memory Use on batteries of problems.

On Linux:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

"How can we benchmark a programming language?
We can't - we benchmark programming language implementations.

How can we benchmark language implementations?
We can't - we measure particular programs."

Free Pascal vs C#:

Mono is ~15 times worse in memory use and execution speed.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=fpascal&lang2=csharp&sort=fullcpu

Free Pascal vs Java JDK: FPC wins by large =P

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=fpascal&lang2=java&sort=fullcpu

Free Pascal vs C: GCC is the only compiler to beat FPC, and for a small margin.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=fpascal&lang2=gcc&sort=fullcpu

On Windows:

http://dada.perl.it/shootout/

Delphi comes even with Visual Studio c and c++ on the first place.
After, with a margin, comes gcc and free pascal. C#, Java, perl,
python, all come much after free pascal. Visual Basic is perhaps the
worse.

It is obvious that all benchmarks are flawed (as even the benchmark
website says), but it is lot's of fun ^_^

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho