[fpc-pascal]Kylix and M68k Port

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Nov 29 17:35:14 CET 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Matt Emson wrote:

> Hi there everyone,
>
> Two things then...
>
> KYLIX:
>
> Is Kylix the Free Pascal killer?? It could well be!!!! I've seen it, and I've
> seen it working!! I was present this Monday/Tuesday (27-28th Nov. 2000) at a
> lecture session given by Charlie Calvert (ex-Borland R&D manager) on Linux and
> Kylix. Kylix looks to be a Free Pascal Killer - no offence to you all. Why?

If we would apply the same reasoning to GCC it would also no longer exist,
yet it does and continues to thrive; the whole linux would not exist without it.

The lesson to be learned is that it is no use comparing free products with
commercial ones. Both can perfectly co-exist together.
The one just provides a free alternative for the other; both have their supporters
and opponents...

Yes, there is some talk about releasing some things as open source, but Borland
is and remains a commercial company and therefore must make money to pay its
employees, so I wouldn't expect miracles there...

The starting points for FPC and Borland are different, so there will never
be any complete comparison possible. With some more work we'll be able to compile
any of borland's code, so we're not worried about FPC's future; we have the
download statistics to back this up, so...

Michael.