[fpc-other] Developer workflow with Ergodox

Tue May 16 00:39:08 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-15 23:02, noreply at z505.com wrote:
> Been meaning to try dvorak again one day, it's just that all laptops
> come shipped with a standard keyboard so I prefer to use a keyboard

All operating systems support the US English Dvorak layout for absolute
years. What I personally tested: OS/2, OSX, Windows (all of them),
Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and Haiku.

They all support software switching the keyboard layout, and Dvorak
comes standard. So you don't need to swap keycaps etc. If you touch
type, which hopefully you do with QWERTY and definitely with Dvorak,
then there really is no need to look at the keys or swap keycaps. Hell,
my Ergodox keyboard doesn't even have anything printed on any of my
keycaps - they are pure black.

The Programmer Dvorak will be a manually installed layout for Windows (I
don't know about OSX), but that is only a few KBytes install. I believe
Linux and FreeBSD now includes Programmer Dvorak as standard for a few
years now too.

Dvorak and Programmer Dvorak are pretty similar anyway, it's just the
number row that has really changed.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/