[fpc-other] GIT versioning server on Raspberry Pi?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Wed Jun 7 18:16:27 CEST 2017

Il 07/06/2017 10:49, Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:
> Strange that in my 25+ years of programming I have never needed that.
> Somehow I always managed just fine, and relied or more reliable
> sources of information for version control and reusable code modules.

Well each one selects its way of working, depending both on personal
taste, and on the specific requirement of the applications.

I made a quick check taking for reference a data entry module. It's been
used in 220 different projects from 2006 up to now. In many cases it's
just a vanilla version, which was submitted to a number of improvements
along the years,  while in some cases it has some special features
added, to accommodate some specific peculiarities. Timestamps tell the
history, while the file size indicates the presence of special features.

Now, if I must face project 221, I will pick up as a starting point the
most similar project which might be five years old, knowing that I'll be
able to reuse a good quantity of its modules. But if I clone the GIT
repository in a new one for the new project, and I lose the timestamps,
I lose all the information which makes it easy to tell apart what I can
keep as it is from what is worth updating with the improvements made in
later project. Of course I will write from scratch what makes this
project different from the previous one, and again, at a later time,
timestamps will tell me at a glance what was inherited from a previous
project and what is new.

Giuliano