[fpc-other] GIT versioning server on Raspberry Pi?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Wed Jun 7 09:24:53 CEST 2017

Il 07/06/2017 00:38, Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:

> You are the second person I hear say that. Why is preserving
> timestamps important? What use is there for it?

One of the important things of programming, both for economical reasons
and for better quality, is to be able to reuse code modules. Timestamps
provide you the ability to recognise at a glance which modules are
unchanged, old, thoroughly tested ones, and which ones are newer or
modified. No GIT command is as fast as ls -lrt *.c or ls -lrt *.pas.
Moreover, once a program is deployed, a preserved timestamp provides an
intrinsic automatic version control. Again faster and safer than any
tag, which requires manual intervention, and can be error prone.
If you google for git timestamp or git metadata, you'll see how the
matter is considered important by quite a number of people.

Giuliano