[fpc-other] GIT versioning server on Raspberry Pi?

Wed Jun 7 00:38:10 CEST 2017

On 2017-06-06 11:30, Giuliano Colla wrote:
> This is one of the down sides of GIT: it doesn't preserve timestamps.

You are the second person I hear say that. Why is preserving timestamps
important? What use is there for it?

Git already tracks the commit date/time, authored date/time and other
metadata - all available in the Git log. Those are git log metadata. But
Git really only tracks file content changes over time - that is the
important bit everybody needs. Git doesn't even track directories - only
file content changes are tracked, but even with only that information,
Git is clever enough to track file renames and movement of files between
locations in the repository.

I honestly see no need for timestamps. If mean for things like a
compiler should detect when files are changes - well, compilers should
check for the content of file changes (via checksums or CRC etc).
Timestamps can be spoofed or changed without the contents of the file
changing - thus totally pointless. Then there is things like daylight
savings time, timestamps across timezones etc. All things that could
affect timestamps, but not the content of a file. So Git is right by not
bothering with file timestamps - query the git-log instead.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/