[fpc-other] GIT versioning server on Raspberry Pi?

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 12:31:17 CEST 2017

On 01/06/17 09:12, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-05-31 08:33, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
>> TortoiseGIT also lets you create a 'bare' repo.
>
> I don't disputed that, and I don't mind others using gui front-ends
> to git - as long as they know they are seriously limiting their
> abilities and functionality of Git.

It wasn't my intention to 'dispute' anything, only just to point that out. :)

> I have reviewed a lot of Git GUI front-ends in depth over the years.
> In every single case they lagged behind Git command line interface
> features or couldn't do some of the more advanced functionality. And
> more often than not they got confused about the state of the git
> repository. They were also always slower to use than the command line
> interface.

I have TortoiseGIT 1.8.16.0 with git 2.8.2.windows.1... on winxp it's the last
revision I can use (starting with TGit 2.0 winxp support is removed)

But, it's (or, it 'Feels') much faster.

At least compared to TSVN 1.6.5 with SVN 1.6.5 i also have on that machine.
(plus, this needs a special area to hold the 'bare'/repo 'remote' directories, or a server,
which git doesn't need that badly)

As per features, I'm probably not even using 5% of them... but it lets me
get used to having them, in case I need them later on;

I remember looking at TGit when it was not yet 'on par' with git's own features
(pre-1.0 TGit) and it wasn't as impressive as it is now.

And having just tried that-era (2.8.2.windows.1) git-bash, on my winxp sp3,
 I can't say I'm impressed with its speed... even ls -l is a 1-2s delay...
(that may or may not apply to git itself though, it just discourages me from trying it).

> Regards, Graeme

Kind Regards
-L.