[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] The end of Gmane

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 29 10:48:08 CEST 2016

Am 29.07.2016 10:02 schrieb "Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:38:16 +0530, Vasudev Ram
> <vasudevram at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi list,
> >
> >Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier here already, or if it is
> >considered off-topic (and if so, will not do it again). But I think it
> >is relevant and of interest to people reading this list via Gmane:
> >
> >The End of Gmane? (ingebrigtsen.no)
> >
> >https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12180547
>
> OH NO!!!
> I have used the GMane SMTP->NNTP service since at least 10 years.
> It is my main channel into development communities using mail lists
> and is an invaluable resource.
>
> I cannot even begin to understand how I would be able to solve the
> programming problems I encounter without this resource available.
>
> Mail lists is no alternative because there is no structure and I would
> be flooded with email hiding the normal mail use. NNTP is king in
> these regards.

I only use the mailing lists and I don't see your problems at all.
I've set up my google mail account in such a way that all mails from a
specific list get the list's name as label attached and that they don't go
through the normal mail entry. In Thunderbird these labels appear as IMAP
folders. So no clutter here.
Additionally I use threaded view and as long as no one('s client) messes up
the list-ID that also works without problems. How do you think Gmane
manages to keep track of the structure? It also uses information contained
in the mails...

Regards,
Sven