[fpc-other] [fpc-pascal] Google Code closing down

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Mar 15 21:32:09 CET 2015

> Reading the replies I can clearly see that neither of you have ever used
> Git for actual work.
I have, and I do. That said, only for maybe 6 to 9 month by now, and in
that time I might well only have scratched the surface of it, and yet
much to discover.

But never mind how well I know it, that was never the point. I did at
*no* time say that git was not good, or could not be useful.

I said that, it is not always the best choice, for that: read on below:

> I'm not talking about just installing it and not
> doing anything with it - that's NOT using a product, so you can't review
> it based on that.
>
> >>/  Look around. I have seen many git repositories (svn probably too), where
> />>/  the (sole) committer uses git in a way, that cvs would allow to do more.
> />>/  How is git better for them?
> /
> Your statement is so ridiculous I had to laugh out loud. Git is
> magnitudes better that CVS and SubVersion combined. And yes it is
> extremely useful even for a sole developer.
That has nothing to do with what I wrote. And I never said that this was
not the case. Yes it *can* be very useful for  a single developer.

But that does not change, that there are developers who store their
projects in GIT, but who do not use the features at all. For such a
developer it can be said, that even CVS has more feature, than the set
of features they use in GIT.
This is one case, where GIT was clearly not the best choice. (Assuming
they had choice)

It is not about what GIT can do, but what a developer makes out of it.
And also what a developer actually wants or needs.

> then please stop spreading FUD
Read what I wrote, before falsely accusing me of spreading FUD.

> if you actually tried git, you would soon realise it is a vital tool
I tried it, not only did I try it, I use it for some projects.
I still stand by the statement that I made.
> I regard Git just as important as a good
> programmer editor or IDE. Yes, that important!

I agree, yet there are many IDEs, and for different tasks different IDE
are better suited