[fpc-other] Programming Language Index (tiobe index)

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:09:08 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> By the fall of 2004 Delphi 2005 was release, but why
> should it cause such a peak?

There is one simple reason in Tiobe's FAQ:

Q: What happened to Java in April 2004? Did you change your methodology?

A: No, we did not change our methodology at that time. Google changed
its methodology. They performed a general sweep action to get rid of
all kinds of web sites that had been pushed up. As a consequence,
there was a huge drop for languages such as Java and C++. In order to
minimize such fluctuations in the future, we added two more search
engines (MSN and Yahoo) a few months after this incident.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho