[fpc-other] RE: Mac OS on Windows

Richard Ward roward at mac.com
Sat Dec 13 17:06:31 CET 2008

Like Florian indicated,  you need to hack  Mac OS to run on PC
hardware.   It is something that Apple REALLY frowns upon (i.e. can
take legal action) but people have done it - just underground right
now.   There are websites which explain what needs to be done and from
what I have gleaned is not too difficult if you have a good grasp of
unix  & command type interfaces.

I am thinking that it may not be too far in the future, we may see a
some kind of official porting over of the Mac OS's since there is no
processor differences between platforms now.   I would bet Apple is
thinking every day how to move i n that direction without causing too
much disruption.  They are making money right now so it is not in
their best interest to make major changes in their business plan this
instant.   Apple is not hampered by backwards compatibility of PC
legacy code in any porting their OS which makes it all technically
possible.   In fact Apple has several applications which run on
Windows:  the Safari browser, QuickTime, FileMaker, etc..  I have
heard Safari has an 8% market share.   So it is just a matter of time
in my opinion

If you search the web, I think you might find an OS hack published.
Don't be surprised if not EVERYTHING works perfectly though.
Alternately, you might be able to pick up an older Apple Mac mini for
say $200 or iMac for $300-$400 and try that out.   The former option
would be cost effective if you already had a monitor and usb
peripherals.   Just make sure you have a dvi to vga adaptor if your
monitor doesn't take a dvi input.   And you may find even cheaper
prices on ebay than I've indicated.

I am biased having used Macs since they came out, but I know several
people who have switched and after about a month of griping about how
things are done differently, they get to like the Mac and recommend
them to others.   One thing I don't particularly like about Apple is
their interface with developers which is a bit haughty and controlling
at times.   Not blaming the technical people but rather the corporate
policies and mandates which seem to come from the legal department.
Apple provides a nice way to program iPhones but due to legal stuff,
it is not quite legally possible to entirely port FPC to it although
technically it seems very doable.

The only official development path is through Apple, namely Objective
C, Cocoa and their Xcode platform.   Carbon (the procedural C
framework) is on a bit wobbly ground now.  The nice thing is that FPC
and GPC, Lazarus, and the Lightweight IDE are available for OS X.
That's the only reason I started writing programs again after many
years.   Ironically, Pascal was THE first class citizen for quite a
long time at Apple  until  NeXT was introduced.  But that gets into
another discussion on ancient history of golden ages past and
barbarian takeovers.  heh :)

- Richard Ward