[fpc-other]reputation of Pascal

Ingmar Tulva juss_it@ut.ee
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:48:28 +0300 (EEST)

Keep in mind that you cannot raise the reputation of Pascal by just
blaming C. As Marco pointed out, "all" we need is great programs written
in Pascal. As long as the great majority of serious stuff (like games) has
been written in C++, everyone going to start a bigger project gets the
clue that C++ is certainly a safe choice for him - and I cannot blame him
for that. Also, important APIs like that of Windows, OpenGL, ... have been
designed to use with C; plenty of good stuff requires support of C++
classes - in fact, C(++) is kind of standard nowadays. You cannot avoid
it, a useful compiler (of whichever language) needs to support it.

We all in this list know that Pascal _is_ a good choice, we needn't tell
it to each other. Andreas raised the question of improving Pascal's
reputation, not degrading that of C - which is hopeless :-)

------

Ingmar

------

"Salamanders can survive up to six hours outside a fire if regularly fed
pepper" (Scamander 1927).