[fpc-other]reputation of Pascal

Andreas K. Foerster Andreas@AKFoerster.de
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:27:04 +0200

Okay, then let's start a real discussion here...

The programming language Pascal unfortunately has a really bad
reputation amongst programmers and in the hacker scene. They call
Pascal a "bondage-and-discipline language". There's even
yet a fixed proverb out: "real programmers don't use Pascal".

For the arguments read the article about Pascal from "The New Hackers
Dictionary" (aka "jargon file") and the related articles:

http://tuxedo.org/jargon/html/entry/Pascal.html

Okay, the paper, they refer to is from 1981 and lots of the limitations
of standard Pascal don't relate to FPC. But then they can say, it's not
a common standard, so your Pascal is not Pascal, it's proprietary, it's
not portable.

So, what do you think, how can we argue against them?
What about publishing our own paper?
What else could we do for the reputation of Pascal?

--
Tschuess
	Andreas