[fpc-devel] "make all install" from trunk fails

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Oct 8 18:49:54 CEST 2014

In our previous episode, Vsevolod Alekseyev said:

> Indeed, there's no utils\fpcm\bin. Looks like "make all" doesn't build
> fpcmake, and yet subsequent actions depend on it.
>
> Trying to build fpcmake alone with the bootstrap compiler fails;
> specifically, buillding packages\fpmakeunit errors out.
>
> Please, what am I doing wrong?

Not starting building with a full release install of FPC, which is the only
supported method.

Forgetting that, if you need to bootstrap, afaik the make step should
complete and create fpcmake in the source tree, and only the install step
depends on it. So inbetween you can copy it into place.

Putting the make all and install in two different make invokations and
passing a FPCMAKE=<place in tree where fpcmake was generated> to the install
step might fix it completely, but I never tried.