[fpc-devel] Parallel processing in the compiler

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Sep 5 18:00:55 CEST 2010

Am 05.09.2010 17:40, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 5 September 2010 15:08, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>>> +1
>>> I can recommend it, too.
>>>
>>> In some earlier mail I mentioned it would solve DoDi's problems with merging
>>> his branch with trunk after they have deviated much from each other.
>>
>> The problem is conflict solving and this is usually the equally hard
>> part with any scm.
>
> Juha has a valid point about less conflicts.

How do you know if you don't use svn? I tried hg and sometimes I use git
and I never saw any advantage of them regarding conflict resolving.
Usually it's even worse than with svn because compared with TortoiseSVN,
git and hg gui support is still poor, TortoiseHg/Git are far from being
there. Though git/hg are sometimes usefull to move changes quickly
between machines.

>> I don't see how this is different from merging new trunk changes to a
>> feature branch in svn? See e.g. r15421 where Jonas merged all new
>> changes from trunk into the cpstrnew branch.
>
> Rebase is not the same as merge (at least when you are using git).

Did you realize that I wrote about svn :) ?

To be able to get a review of a patch, he needs to publish it in any
form anyways. So local branches/rebases etc. are pretty useless in this
case, some svn branch is perfectly usable for this scenario.