[fpc-devel] Parallel processing in the compiler

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 17:40:36 CEST 2010

On 5 September 2010 15:08, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>> +1
>> I can recommend it, too.
>>
>> In some earlier mail I mentioned it would solve DoDi's problems with merging
>> his branch with trunk after they have deviated much from each other.
>
> The problem is conflict solving and this is usually the equally hard
> part with any scm.

Juha has a valid point about less conflicts. I have dragged (for a
lack of a better description) my local branches for the Lazarus
repository to match SVN Trunk for over a year with no (or very
minimal) conflicts. These local branches contains many personal
customizations to Lazarus, which includes new sections in Environment
dialog etc - many areas which see lots activity from Lazarus
developers.

> I don't see how this is different from merging new trunk changes to a
> feature branch in svn? See e.g. r15421 where Jonas merged all new
> changes from trunk into the cpstrnew branch.

Rebase is not the same as merge (at least when you are using git). As
I explained before, rebase rewrites history, merge creates a new
commit with changes from another branch. Rebase is more often used to
keep a clean history (no merge commits in history), and more often
used with local branches, because then, rewriting history does not
affect somebody else's repository like when they cloned from you.

Anyway, we know your stance with Git, so we will stop here, and not go
down that path again. :) If DoDi wanted to know more about Git, he is
welcome to mail me (and probably Juha too) in private.

  - Graeme -