[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Sep 15 14:11:25 CEST 2009

Martin Schreiber het geskryf:
> I think there is a misunderstanding. FPC UnicodeString type is identical to
> widestring on all platforms except Windows. On Windows widestring is actual a
> not reference counted OLE-string.

The problem as, that it's very different to Delphi. Bottom line: not
Delphi compatible and very misleading.

To quote Jonas Maebe:
"The problem is that Delphi 2009's "unicodestring" type is something
completely different. It is what you (Florian) are developing in the
cpstr branch. Our current unicodestring is an utf16string or something
like that."

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/