[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Tue Sep 15 14:02:02 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 12:56:08 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> > Who says that? What is not supported?
>
> This I found myself:
> * Unicode+Variants... varUString type.
>
> By Google'ing for some D2009 unicode examples and searching the FPC
> source. Here I list a few that I found in under 5 minutes:

Graeme,
I think there is a misunderstanding. FPC UnicodeString type is identical to
widestring on all platforms except Windows. On Windows widestring is actual a
not reference counted OLE-string.
With widestrings and the automatically conversion to the system 8bit encoding
by the widestringmanager FPC has all what is needed for transparent platform
independent Unicode handling since years. Now that we have the fast reference
counted widestring on Windows also, the last problem has been solved. ;-)

Martin