[fpc-devel] On code cleanup

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun May 3 10:11:09 CEST 2009

On 03 May 2009, at 04:28, Alexander Klenin wrote:

> While fixing http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=13619,
> Jonas did not apply neither code cleanup not comment fix parts of it.

It's mainly because I saw the patch only after I already looked up the
Delphi declaration and fixed the code myself. I didn't consider the
other changes that important to revert my changes, apply yours and
then run the testsuite again. I did intend to manually apply the
Playthingies -> Miscelaneous change manually, but somehow forgot about
it. I'll do it now.

> Are such changes not wanted?
> I did not made a separate patch for them -- should I?

No, that's generally not necessary.

> On a more generic note -- will massive code reformatting patches be
> accepted?

I'm not sure. But if they should be done, now would probably be a good
time given that merging from trunk to fixes is already fairly hard
anyway (at least for the compiler), and I don't really see a 2.2.6
happening (although I'm sure other developers disagree with the latter).

> Like, e.g. changing keywords to lower case?
> And, more importantly, changing class/function names to CamelCase?

There's no real standard in FPC regarding the casing of class/function
names. Some files use camel case, others lowercase, and a few Java-
style (first character lower case, rest camel case). I personally
prefer lowercase these days.

Jonas