[fpc-devel] Running test suite for 2.1.4 on linux/sparc

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 16:56:33 CEST 2007

Jonas Maebe wrote:

>> Incidentally, something curious here. You might remember that a week
>> ago I was getting stuck on the inconsistent register-assignment nasty,
>> I built and installed an apparently-working 2.1.4 shortly after you
>> pointed out that it tended to be a transiant problem. Odd thing is
>> that since that point I've gone through the entire exercise a second
>> time- 2.0.0 binary compiling 2.0.4 hence compiling 2.1.4, and the
>> 2.1.4 compilation hadn't failed.
>
> I know, it only happens intermittently (in a way that suggests an
> uninitialised variable or memory localtion), but have no idea what it's
> caused by. Valgrind doesn't find anything in an i386 to sparc cross
> compiler, so it's probably an error somewhere in the sparc code
> generator (or in a sparc rtl assembler routine)

I'm obviously keeping an eye on this, but I'm wondering whether there's a
binary (library or executable) that was installed on the system once I had a
working 2.1.4, which was not overwritten when I reverted to 2.0.0 or 2.0.4 and
subsequently used when I rebuilt 2.1.4. In some ways it will be a relief if it
starts coming up with the same fault again :-)

Tests still running, more later.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk