[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 3 07:52:45 CEST 2005

> Forward declarations are redundant - they exist purely for the benefit
> of the compiler.

I agree.  I hate prototyping.  That's why you use top-down design.
What's wrong with that?

> Begin..End is redundant - you have to indent them to make em readable
> anyways.

Not at all; I certainly don't indent them, and I'm a fanatical
indenter.  I don't think you're going to convince anyone to change THIS
part of Pascal--it's essential.  You change begin and end, and you just
don't have Pascal anymore.  Plus the only reason I love FPC is because
it is faithful to older code.  If it breaks my code, I'll likely go back
to a previous version and I bet there are enough people who feel this
way that there will be the beginning of another project based on the
older FPC code.

> manual memory management of tobjects is redundant as you can get good
> performance with ref counting tobjects.

Oh yes, this old argument.  I remember reading this on the list before.
I guess it's still on your mind ;)  I really don't know about the pros
and cons for ref counting, so maybe someone can explain it.