[fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-l] type discussion

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 3 07:40:50 CEST 2005

>>> What matters is designing und understanding the code, not writing
>>> it. I spend less than 10% of my time at work in actually _writing_
>>> code, so even if someone can type in his/her code twice as fast, the
>>> maximum (s)he would gain would be five percent in overall performance.
>>

>> you are missing the point!
>>
>> Whather you can implement something faster in another language is not
>> the issue. I am arguing for less verbose syntax without decreasing
>> the clarity of the code in delphi/pascal and that is logically gonna
>> improve productivity without taking anything away.
>

> This is only 'logical' if the hypothesis
>
> "productivity is inversely related to the syntax verbosity"
>
> is correct.
>
> I question the correctness of the hypothesis, and I assume, so does
> Florian...

I think the point of this is being lost on me.  We're talking about
changing things like philosophy (top-down design), and syntax.  So are
we talking about just creating another new language?  I mean that's what
it sounds like.  Why not take Python or C# and add Pascal syntax or
philsophies to it instead of adding these to Pascal?

Maybe some people just really don't like Pascal that much.