[fpc-pascal] Cross-building on from Linux/i386 to Linux/x86-64

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed May 8 15:45:27 CEST 2013

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
> >> svn) and probably hasn't worked correctly in 10 years or so (if it
> >> ever worked really correctly, given that adding -Xd to OPT never
> >> never
> >> was correct).
> >
> > It was the best that could be done then.
>
> The best that could have been done was to add -Xd to CROSSOPT, not to
> OPT.

IIRC that didn't exist outside cycle then.

> > And it did work, because back then,
> > with the exception of darwin, nothing run on host linked to libc,
> > thus not
> > needing those paths. That has only changed very recently.
>
> You're right. But in that case I don't understand why -Xt was also
> present, given that this option only applies to C libraries as well.

Neither do I. It is not an option that I regularly use. Maybe it was a
workaround for the problems where later -Xr (rlink-path) was added for. IOW
cross-shared linking wasn't so easy then.

Anyway, I'll update and play with it in the coming times. I had already
planned to spend some time on the buildfaq, and this is good training.