[fpc-devel] Porting fpc to linux-sparc64

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon May 29 22:27:04 CEST 2017

On 05/29/2017 10:22 PM, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
> Well, fpc has a SPARCv9 switch, but it does little to none and it was only supposed to enable
> SPARCv9 instructions in 32 bit only mode. SPARC64 is another story: it needs some more work, it is
> basically a new target for the compiler though a lot of code can be reused from SPARC32.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

> I am also interested on working on a SPARC64. Actually, several weeks ago, I literally un-dusted my Ultra 5
> which sat in the attic for years. But I did not start to work on the port yet, but I still plan to

In case you want to install a current release of Debian/sparc64:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2016/06/msg00126.html

This explains how. It's still a bit bumpy, but it should work.

> do so, so at a certain point access to a fast SPARC64 machine would be nice indeed.

We have a SPARC-T5 with lots of RAM and even more compute power. The machine is much
faster than even most x86_64 machines ;). Just drop me a private mail with your
SSH public key when you want to have an account.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz at debian.org